Monday, April 26, 2010

You Can’t Hug A Laptop And You Can’t Kiss A Phone

I find it interesting that we still use the word “sunrise”. We all know for a fact that the sun is stationary and we’re the celestial body that rises, yet we persist in our flawed language.
Our flawed language indeed. I find myself incapable of the words for how I feel often, and I can blame only language. I don’t know the word for how I feel days like this. I’m not quite tired, I’m not really lonely, it would be incorrect to call it homesickness or frustration or longing, but it has elements of them all. And the words I must use are woefully inadequate to convey my feelings. I think that this is the case often in this life, but it is rare we realize it.
We don’t notice because more often than not we can show these feelings we can’t describe. We can touch someone, or look at someone, or sit near someone and with no words feelings are shared. These emotions, and more importantly the depths at which we feel them are shared so effectively without words and almost without notice until you must do without. When that subtle connection is severed how are we to manage? How can we share joy without a smile? How can we share pain without tears? How can we show love without a kiss? How can we take comfort in another without them there to give comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment