Saturday, October 24, 2009

In The Spirit Of Full Disclosure I'm Drunk Right Now

I write drunk too much. Or so I think. Maybe that's my thing. Maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am. Ever since I was a little kid my parents and my teachers have been saying shit about I'm smart and just never apply myself and you know what? Since they started saying that shit I've been terrified that it isn't true. I have a huge fear of failure because everyone has some expectation of me to be smart and together and do better than I have been doing.
So there. That's out there. Let's move on.

Some people don't think Hemingway is one of the best American writers of all time. Far be it for me to criticize the critics, but I shall. I have a feeling that those who would deride H-Dog are:
A. Feminine
B. Wealthy
C. Happy, and/or
D. Boring

This is just something I think so don't get bent outta shape or anything, but to quote a girl I know; come the fuck on... . The man was first and foremost a MAN. And sure, I've read the speculations that he was 'inadequate' in certain departments but I don't see any evidence to support that theory. He fucked as much as anyone else and fathered as many children as was fashionable at the time.
Hemingway expressed in terse and accurate prose how any American male feels during part or all of his life. And what's more, he didn't just write it, he fucking lived it. I do not know another person who won the Bronze Star, the Pulitzer and the Nobel for Literature but if there is drop me a line. He felt the ennui and disenchantment that a man has to deal with throughout his life and found a way to convey that in writing that could be understood simply.
One has to look no farther than The Nick Adams Stories to understand the angst that plagues so may of us in ways we can't say or show. Mr. Hemingway spoke for literally millions of men who couldn't speak for themselves. And his writings continue to speak for us.
Us uncounted masses who, even in this forgiving modern time full of hugs and softness, can never bring ourselves to have an Oprah-couch-moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment