Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm Going To Lose Some Sleep Over This

They say Pride comes before the Fall. Or rather the Bible says that. While I concur that Pride can hurt you sorely, sometimes its all that matters. When a person takes pride in what they do, how they act, what they say and believe, this is not a bad thing. And when a person professes to be something, to believe in something and stand for something its a matter of pride that when push comes to shove that they do what they said they would do, they are who they claim to be.
Some people, many people I think, don't see it that way. They think that our only obligation is to ourselves, or at least our first. I don't know how I feel about that, but if you can't stand to live with yourself knowing you did nothing when you should have done something then maybe you are looking out for Number 1. What I mean is that if you do nothing out of fear or common sense or self-preservation or just about any old reason besides you think its the wrong course of action then how can you stand yourself? How can you look at yourself everyday knowing you failed in your obligations. Your obligations to others and your obligation to yourself to be the kind of human being you can respect.
I'm not saying we have to be perfect. Better than some I know how deeply flawed we are. What I am saying is that because we're all flawed its that much more important to do whatever it takes to be better. To have courage and strength and not back down when real shit is on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment