Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Until It Doesn't

I am an atheist. There is no cognitive higher power, no "unmoved mover" nor moved mover. We simply are and that's that. I am sure of that.
However these are the only things in this world that make me think someone somewhere knows what the fuck is going on:

Girls
Seriously. They blow my mind. They are soft and pretty and smell nice and drive me (along with half the population) insane.

Cows
How can so much delicious food be derived from one animal? Milk, Cheese, Butter, Ice Cream, Steak, Ground Beef, ect, ect. The list is damn near endless. They are magic animals meant to be eaten.

Alcohol
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper" -Willy Franklin


Strangely enough these three things go together. Kind of.

You ever wonder what heaven is like? I mean can you ever think of the happiest you have ever been? (I assume heaven to be akin to that.)
I can't.
I can think of plenty of times when I was happy, but never so happy that it beat out the others. Conversely I can't recall my most miserable.
I can think of times where I really, honestly wanted to off myself, and I can think of times where I was so happy I could die. Yet neither one holds the spot of best or worst time of my life. How do you pick a high or low point? It seems terribly depressing to think of any time being the best because then what's the point of continuing on?
If you've already peaked then you're really just going through the motions. And if you can assign a moment in your life to be the worst than that's simply hubris on your part. I mean unless your family was just murdered in front of you while you were raped and the people that did it were your best and truest friends and you just found out you have AIDS and cancer and you're on fire then ok, chances are you have set the bar for Worst Moment in Your Life. But barring that, well it could get so much worse.
I suppose this is a roundabout way for me to explain that heaven (were it to exist) must get boring as hell. And hell must also be boring. Because it is human nature to adapt and roll with the punches. The worst thing ever, if it lasts long enough, becomes background noise. As does the best.
For instance: I enjoy sex. Sex is very fun and I like it pretty much unequivocally. Yet if I was humping for eternity I would become bored pretty rapidly. Yet were I to switch to another pursuit I would soon tire of that and once again wish for sex.
I dislike nothing more than being gassed. Getting gassed once I joined the army was absolutely terrible. Yet toward the end of the minute or two I was in that chamber sucking in VX I found that while I couldn't breathe easier and my body was still reacting forcefully my mind had calmed down and I was no longer panicking. I mentally became accustomed to the idea of the terrible experience going on indefinitely.
We are more powerful then we give ourselves credit for. Nothing is really that big of a deal, because life goes on and on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment