Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sometimes Love Don't Feel Like It Should

Once when I was younger than 10 Ralph, Liz and I were driving in R-Unit's car. We were heading down 123 toward home, near Westwood listen to an Oldie's station and a Mellencamp song came on. It was "Jack and Diane". Almost out of nowhere he asks Liz if she thinks its a happy song. She listens for a second and he asks me. I ask him what he means by 'happy song' and right then Liz answers in the affermative.
She says she thinks its a happy song because Jack and Diane are doing the best they can and love each other and some other retarded shit.
I damn near hopped over the seat and hit my dear sister. It became so horribily clear to me after 30 seconds that J&D was one of the most depressing songs ever written. It says in plain black and white that life goes on even after the thrill of living has gone. Then says to hold on to 16 as long as you can. Its a lament to lost youth and the irony of being young. We all want to grown up and move on, yet once we get there we kinda want to go back.
Of course I know Mellencamp is not of the same caliber of the Boss or many other bards who say the same shit in different ways. But he has his own charm. Kind of a Dollar Store feeling that is so blatent (sp? I'm drunk) in its meaning you can't help but love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment